Friday, August 29, 2008

arrived in Istanbul

after a visit to the Pergamon museum this morning plus lunch near the museum, we headed off to the airport. The Pergamon museum was wonderful and yes, Dr Clark, we did see the Babylon exhibit.

We flew to Munich and then had connection to Istanbul that was "legal" (travel agent speak) but I assume just barely. we only had 35 minutes from runway to runway, and were relieved to find a Lufthansa agent waiting to shepherd us through passport control and on to our next gate.

Once we arrived in Istanbul the students were in at a high level of excitement which crescendoed off the scale once we drove through the ancient city walls and between the Blue mosque and the Aya Sofya. They were stunned by this ancient part of the city and I had to talk them out of walking right back up to look at the mosque and Aya Sofya again after they dropped off their luggage (at 1 am). I also had to remind them that "decent" Turkish girls do NOT wander around the city at 1 am. I also fed the guys some key phrases to ward off unwanted attention toward the women (e.g. "her father would be very angry") These are "old" and traditional attitudes, but they send the immediate message that these are decent women who need to be treated like your sister.

Hoping to get to an internet café tomorrow to post photos.

Goodnight from Istanbul.
Suzanne Mallery

2 comments:

Lynneth said...

Hey Everyone, I'm so excited for you!!! I keep track of your daily posts. :) I got chills all over my body when reading Suzanne's description of your arrival to Istanbul! This will definitely be a life-changing experience; savor it!

Lynneth said...

Sorry...I forgot to sign my name in the previous post...Lsoccer11 is Lynneth ;)